Another photographer tells his stories.
Joyce Carol Oates discusses writing, her daily routine, and her idea of her own personality: http://nyr.kr/136AZbu
91-Year-Old Iconic Photographer Art Shay Talks About His Prolific Career
Born in 1922, photographer and writer Art Shay has had a career that most creatives only dream of. Between Life, Time, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, Forbes, Business Week, Parade, The New York Times Magazine and many more, Shay has shot about 1,100 magazine covers.
This video — shot and produced by Bradley Rochford of Hanson Dodge Creative — gives you a quick overview of the amazing life and work of this still-active 91-year-old photographer.
A Bronx native and WWII veteran, Shay has had the opportunity to photograph seven U.S. Presidents in addition to sports icons such as Mohammad Ali and film legends such as Marlon Brando. In all that time, he’s also made a name for himself as a successful and talented writer, writing weekly columns, children’s books, plays and, of course, photo essay books.
The Apollo 11 Saturn V launch. RIP. (h/t @nycsouthpaw)
- Sir Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity (2006): 13,409,417 views
- Jill Bolte Taylor‘s stroke of insight (2008): 10,409,851
- Pranav Mistry on the thrilling potential of SixthSense (2009): 9,223,263
- David Gallo‘s underwater astonishments (2007): 7,879,541
- Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense (2009): 7,467,580
- Tony Robbins asks Why we do what we do (2006): 6,879,488
- Simon Sinek on how great leaders inspire action (2010): 6,050,294
- Steve Jobs on how to live before you die (2005): 5,444,022
- Hans Rosling shows the best stats you’ve ever seen (2006): 4,966,643
- Brene Brown talks about the power of vulnerability (2010): 4,763,038
- Daniel Pink on the surprising science of motivation (2009): 4,706,241
- Arthur Benjamin does mathemagic (2005): 4,658,425
- Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing your genius (2009): 4,538,037
- Dan Gilbert asks: Why are we happy? (2004): 4,269,082
- Stephen Hawking asks big questions about the universe (2008): 4,153,105
- Jeff Han demos his breakthrough multi-touchscreen (2006): 3,891,251
- Johnny Lee shows Wii Remote hacks for educators (2008): 3,869,417
- Keith Barry does brain magic (2004): 3,847,893
- Mary Roach 10 things you didn’t know about orgasm (2009): 3,810,630
- Vijay Kumar demos robots that fly like birds (2012): 3,535,340
The visual life / street photography
Exercise and health. (via Justin Valente)